Thursday, May 04, 2006

family

I grew up in a 4-person family, Mommy, Daddy, Big Sister and Me. We had pretty traditional values, Daddy cooking out, cutting grasss, Mommy cooking dinner, doing laundry. Even with all that, I am not that close to them, years later. Not really. Except my Dad. We talk and we are of the same mind on a number of topics, and I would miss him if he were gone. I think about him and talking to him during my regular week, so by that definition, he is a friend. We make time for each other. But apart from him...
My gathered family is a much stronger system than the one I was born into. I love them, they are my ka-tet and we are a family. We care for each other, nourish each other, support each other. Maybe part of the reason we are so tight is because we do not take each other for granted, like the idea that your sister will always be your sister...
Friendship takes committment and effort. That is the kind of family I want to be part of, one that is committed and joyful.

No comments: