Saturday, August 20, 2005

ADD

Do you suppose it is a symptom of ADD when you call someone and the whole time you are talking to them they are talking to other people and can hardly hear what you are saying? This happens with Bre often and it drives me crazy. If it were me and I were too busy to talk, I would a) not answer my phone or b) tell you right away that I am in the middle of something and ask if I could call you back.

But to tell the truth, I don't think he was too involved to talk, I think he just doesn't think the conversation needs his attention. That sounds horrible, but that is the way I think lots of our conversation goes. If I say, my calves are sore, his immediate response is that his tendon is sore. He doesn't even bother with, "oh, really? You know, my tendon..." It is almost as if he didn't even hear me. Just enough to remind him of something he wanted to say...Oh, like a couple of weeks ago (this is bad, Martha, really bad that you are compiling these things) we were on the phone and I said that the county had called me back (job prospect) and he said, "oh, there was a job listing that came out for current employees (which he is, not me) and it had something to do with sign language." "What was the job?" I asked. Now, I could have stayed on track with my story, but I though, ok, Martha, he wants to say something and you need to listen. Then he went on, he couldn't remember really what it was about, etc and then changed the subject and we got off the phone 10 minutes later and he never asked me about the county (getting a full-time job has only been my #1 goal for 8 months now) as if I had never said a word. What the hell is that about?! Who would not notice that?
I am really annoyed by that behavior. I don't think it means he doesn't care about me, but it still really annoys me. I know it is a bad habit but dang.

Currently reading:
Your Blues Ain't Like Mine (Ballantine Reader's Circle)
By Bebe Moore Campbell
Release date: By 10 August, 1993

No comments: