Friday, August 19, 2005

Body for life

Current mood: determined

Ok, so, a few days ago I got a way too good look at myself in a full-length mirror. I know that beauty isn't everything etc etc, however, I was not pleased at all with what I saw. I actually considered surgery for a while...I was thinking, yeah, tummy tuck, how bad can that be? Yeah, ok, so I looked it up online and was shocked back to reality, looking at before and after photos...

After feeling crappy and depressed a while, I decided that now was the time to do something about it. Those of you who know me know that I have tended to be healthy over all, vegetarian/semi vegetarian, I run, I eat organic, I don't drink or smoke (ok, the occasional cigarette or margarita - you know what I mean!), I do lots of things right. And I have had "issues" with my weight more or less since I was 18. I have had periods in my life where I felt good about the way I look, but I have also spent hours and hours running and lifting weights and doing STEP aerobic and trying to get leaner.

Over the years, I have found that for me, hitting it hard has not paid off. When I was running the most miles and spending the most time at the gym, I didn't lose an inch. I did lose inches while doing a very mild exercise program once, and lost some pounds when I did what my doc told me and began eating 6 times a day and I also lost some pounds when I was spending every early evening dancing (yeah, at a bar, at happy hour, pretty much alone on the dance floor).

I also lost some pretty decent inches in 11 weeks with Body for Life when I did it with my sister.

So, that is the thing. I am not prepared to find a bar and dance every evening at happy hour, I don't think I can find the fitness instructor that led the library staff in calisthenics all those years ago, but I can do the body for life plan. In fact, I am going to invite my sister to do it with me.

Currently listening:
Race Is on
By George Jones
Release date: By 20 June, 1995

No comments: