Friday, August 26, 2005

All in a days work

Ok, so more discussion about my job and what days I will be working at the crisis center. I am seriously burning out at 6 days a week. I am. So I kind of agreed to drop my Saturdays and go ahead and work Thursdays. Which will make me less burnt out, in theory. However, the idea was to get more appointments in on Thursdays. Besides the fact that maybe, just maybe, this crisis center job is kind of an "ace in the hole" for me, something I am holding onto just in case...just in case the bottom falls out or something. Which is basically like saying I BELIEVE that the bottom will fall out so I need this thing - this job - for the just in case. Which will happen as long as I am 100% behind it. Which I also believe. So, does that mean I need to cast this job to the wind? As I was thinking about this, one of the clients came to me and said, Martha? Can I talk to you a minute?
I have heard this several times since I worked at the crisis center. I am good, damnit, at listening to people. People want to talk to me. Which is great. And which is one of the times I feel really useful there. And I kind of love what I am doing. I mean, the idea of a place where you can go when it feels like the world is after you, a place where you are supported 24 hours a day for a few days is awesome. I wish there were a way to offer it to all people. I guess we did, back in the days when we had strong family/community ties (or maybe we never did and I am just glamorizing a past I only heard of distantly - my family was definitely not part of that social circle). Supporting people where they are is part of what I totally believe in.
So. Felt less like casting that job out.
And had a brief but wonderful session with another client from the OTHER job today too. So while some of the office stuff I could do without, I was definitely loving that job too.
What does it all mean, Alfie?
Who is John Galt?

No comments: